Saturday, July 23, 2011

Lessons from Dad

The single most important lesson my dad taught me was:

"You can do anything you put your mind to."


I don't remember him saying it often when I was a kid.  Maybe he did and I just didn't realize it.  Even if he didn't say it often, it left an impact on me because I can say with confidence that from the time I was a pre-teen I knew that he believed that about me.

And he still does.  My sister reminded me of it this week.

Last weekend, Lexi and I took a trip up to his house to see family.  (It was great to see them all!)  I shared the news of what I'd been thinking about in regard to my {job} and got a little feedback on the most current related events.  My sister, {Jill}, got to stick around longer than the rest of us and dad must have said something to that effect to her, because she reminded me of it this week.

And it was just what I needed to hear.

"You can do anything you put your mind to."

It applied in Kindergarten when I thought I was supposed to be an astronaut.  It applied when I was seventeen and looking at a world of possibility.  It applies today when there's a big question mark about what comes next in my career.  And I'm confident that it will still apply many years down the road.

Knowing that my family members (and even a select few friends) truly believe in me feels like a life raft in these uncertain times.  And I'm so very thankful for them!

And Dad, thanks for seeing the good in me and saying it.  I think I'm feeling pretty inspired to pursue my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my readers and I {heart} comments! Leave a message at the button.