Saturday, February 5, 2011

Spotlight Saturdays: Martha

In case you missed it, what's {Spotlight Saturday} ?


Meet my beautiful friend, Martha

Have you ever made a good friend instantly?  It's a beautiful and rare thing.  I'm not sure I can put adequate words to what it's like when you connect with someone so quickly.  I know that on the few occasions that I have enjoyed that, I'm left with my head spinning and my heart full and blessed. 

That's how it was when I met Martha.

On the day we met, Martha's family and my family went out to lunch together one Sunday in November 2009, when we first started going to our church.  After lunch, Martha let me tag along with her to a baby shower I wanted to attend~technically, we did Target and two baby showers, but back to the story~our husbands took the kids home and we had a chance to have some girl talk.  That was just what I needed.

The thing I most admire about Martha is that she is so real, so genuine, so open, and so positive.  She was like that the first day and she's like that every day.  Even on a bad day, she finds a reason to smile and laugh.  I love that about her.  I want to be more like that.

I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that God put Martha in my life exactly when He intended to.  She's been a blessing to me since day one.  Her transparency with me that day literally changed my life and gave me a "sister in arms," so to speak.  It's not every friend that will let you stop by for a hug and a chat on a bad day, but Martha is that kind of friend.

We can be totally silly, too.

Girls nights out (what happens at GNO, stays at GNO-trust me, it's better for us all!)
the best group dates ever!
playdates
etc.

It's been a while since I've laughed as hard as the time her hubby, Wes, tried to kill us while we were tubing on Big Mabel.  Don't underestimate Martha's strength!   She is a force to be reckoned with...  I'd even go so far as to say that she's freakishly strong.

We both have a love for dressing up.  I distinctly remember swapping shoes as we took Chuck's thirtieth birthday 80's party from a house to Town Center in our righteous 80's costumes... add in Halloween and kids' birthdays and we can come up with a lot of reasons to dress up.  We may or may not talk about other possible opportunities for donning costumes on a regular basis.

Our kids keep us pretty entertained.  We both have the big brother/little sister set up.  Justus and Parker are pretty funny when they get on a mission for fun.  The drama and silliness of our we're-sisters-and-practially-"twins" girls is unsurpassed.  Observe:

She's also generous and really helpful.  I especially appreciate the times she's been there to help with my kids when I couldn't be there because of work.

So, whether Martha and I are goofing off or struggling with life's battles, I'm inspired to be more open and positive by who she is.  I want to be the kind of person that makes others feel blessed just by being with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my readers and I {heart} comments! Leave a message at the button.