Thursday, January 20, 2011

Fitness: Speedwork is...

So, as I've mentioned  before, I'm training for the

When it comes to training for an upcoming race, I like to use good ol' {Hal Higdon} as my virtual coach.  His basic training programs are free and easy to follow.  I take the prescribed workouts, juggle them with my schedule (good ol' Hal says it's totally legit), and put them on my {iCal}.  But just like a real life coach, sometimes you hate 'em.  Not for who they are, but for what they make you do.  He doesn't mind, cause A) it's good for me and B) he's just a virtual coach.

Case in point:  Speedwork

Speedwork is hard.
Speedwork hurts.
Speedwork makes sense.
(maybe that's why it's annoying.)
Speedwork is deceptive.
(you think, oh, I only have to run a mile and a half today, but really, you end up putting out the same effort as 3+.  go figure.)


This is speedwork in good ol' Hal's words:

Speedwork: If you want to run at a fast pace, you need to train at a fast pace several days a week.  This training schedule for Intermediate runners alternates interval running with Tempo Runs.  An interval workout usually consists of fast repeats separated by walking or jogging.  The program begins with 5 x 400 meters the first week and adds one more 400 every other week to reach 10 x 400 meters the week before your half marathon.  Walk or jog between each repeat.  The best place to run 400-meter repeats is on a track, although you can also use an accurately-measured road course.  Run the 400s at about your pace for 5-K, or 10-K.  For more information on speed training, see my book, Run Fast.

As long as I'm on the subject, let's plan on doing a training check in on Fridays.  We'll call it Fitness Fridays.  I'll let you know how it went this week and you'll say "great work" or "get your butt out there, guuuuurrrrlll!"  Deal?

1 comment:

I love my readers and I {heart} comments! Leave a message at the button.